Sunday, July 29, 2007

Benihana of Twenty Something

I once read that Benihana of Tokyo is so inauthentic that in Tokyo it is called Benihana of New York.

Anyway, Benihana is where I spent my Saturday evening. The occassion was my coworker Jamie's bachelorette party. Her bridesmaids in attendance were in their 20s; the other coworkers she'd invited were 21 and just-turned 30.
My coworkers had told me they really wanted me to be there. For some reason, at this somewhat advanced stage in my life, people in their 20s like me. One of them last night said "Wendy, you tell the best stories." Maybe that has something to do with it.


The whole Benihana rapid-whacking -up- of -meat- and -vegetables thing was cheesy but fun. I pronounced this loudly whistling, steam plume-producing onion 'freakish and wrong' but it was quite good with gingery dipping sauce.

Coworkers Ashley and Diana. Diana, the one on the left, is pretty close to being a perfect coworker. She is really sweet. She reminds me in ways of a coworker in Phoenix named Meghan who had a lovely, lilting voice and was always in a good mood. When I was all but banging my forehead against my desk in administrative-overload frustration, Meghan would e-mail me pictures of puppies and offer me half of her Twix bar.
Jamie, the bride-to-be. The wedding is August 11th.