Friday, August 03, 2007

Fire Drill

The fire alarm in my building has sounded three times in the past two days. Each time I've had to walk down 14 flights of stairs. One time isn't that big a deal, but three times is annoying.

It's tempting to ignore a fire alarm after the first one's a dud. Except of course you start wondering to yourself if you're going to look like something out of the Pompeii museum if you don't get out of there.

My guess is that the alarm is being pulled by an angry resident. There are a lot of angry residents in this building due to the snotty attitude of the manager, maintenance issues, people getting locked in their own bathrooms, whatever (actually I'm not that angry, but if I will be if they take much longer replacing my door).

This evening after we were told it was ok to go back up to our apartments, a father and his three young children were waiting for the elevator.The kids were in awe of the firefighter, in his full regalia, walking down the hall. As he passed by he held out his hand and high fived each of them. I thought that was sweet.